I recently started using the BTGuard VPN service and it has taken a lot of fiddling around to make it work in any user-friendly way.
This guide will tell you how to set it up so that you can just start OpenVPN and click “Connect”, then it just works.
- Follow the official BTGuard steps from here.
- Close OpenVPN.
- Create a text file called password.txt and in it, put your username on the first line and your password on the second line.
- Go into your OpenVPN config folder (the same one mentioned in the official BTGuard guide) and put password.txt in there.
- Change the line “auth-user-pass” to “auth-user-pass password.txt”, and save the file.
Note: You may need to copy the file to another folder in order to edit it, then copy it back to the config folder. This is due to Windows security.
- Download the latest official version of OpenVPN from here and install it.
Now you can simply start OpenVPN, right-click the icon in the system tray and click Connect. It will connect automatically, and automatically re-connect without prompting you for your login information again.
- Updated instructions for latest BTGuard configuration